Saturday, December 5, 2009

Snow days are for vegan waffles and British period pieces

It is indeed snowing in New York. Hiding out from work and armed with the roku remote, I have camped myself on the couch. I'm watching all the streaming netflix British period pieces that I haven't seen before.

Here are the Old-Fashioned Chelsea Waffles from Vegan Brunch. I like the bit of cornmeal in them. It adds a nice dimension. Topped with a little Earth Balance and some New York maple syrup. Yum. This is the only thing that got me off the couch all day.
Now on to the movies...

Starting with a 2009 version of Wuthering Heights that I quite enjoyed. Ah, the Bronte's. Not as light and fluffy as the Jane Austen collection. I always want to hate Heathcliff, but I never really do. I don't even hate Cathy in this one. This version retains the passion, but isn't quite as gritty as some of the other versions. I give it two thumbs up.

Next on to Under the Greenwood Tree. I've never read any Thomas Hardy and this was very cute. Love triumphs through the classes. Starring Keeley Hawes from MI-5. Actually you could do a whole period piece feature with the cast of "Spooks", but I'll save that for another day.

On to Where Angel's Fear to Tread. I've never read any E.M. Forester either, but you can bet the movie has got Helena Bonham Carter in it. So far it's good. There's always some twist though. I usually like the E.M. Forester shows better after I've seen them again. There's a newish Room with a View that I like a lot, too.

Back to the couch...Ciao!

7 comments:

x said...

I made waffles yesterday too and I had plently left for breakfast this morning. I bet they're great on a snowy day!

Binx said...

I just watched Under the Greenwood Tree, as well... and I liked it a lot, because it's just so sweet. And Dick Duey's adorable. If you haven't watched North and South, you should-- that's my favorite BBC period miniseries of all time!

For the Love of Guava said...

ooh that sounds like and amazing day!! I love those waffles too!!!

Jen Treehugger said...

Read the first two but never seen any of the movies. Helena Bonham Carter happens to be my favourite actress - LOVE HER!
That photo just made my tummy growl.

River - The Crafty Kook said...

I love couch-camping days! Charlotte is my favorite Bronte sister, followed by Anne. I'm not a big fan of Emily's stuff. Heathcliff is definitely hard to hate! Poor guy is just a product of bullying! :-D

kanishk said...

! I love those waffles too!!!

Work from home India

Susan said...

Thankfully I live where there is no snow, but if there was this is how I would spend my day as well!