Friday, January 1, 2010

Black eyed peas and collard greens for the new year

OK, this is no traditional recipe, but every year I come up with some excuse not to make black eyed peas on New Year's Day. This year I dug through the pantry and came up with both a can of black eyed peas and a can of collard greens. Sure fresh would be better, but hey sometimes you've got to improvise.
Here's my quick and easy black eyed peas and collard greens with brown rice.


1 cup brown rice
1/4 cup sofrito*


1 can black eyed peas drained and rinsed
1/2 can collard greens
1 tsp liquid smoke
1 Tbs vegan worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp hot sauce like tobasco


Cook brown rice according to package directions adding sofrito or onion.*

Heat black eyed peas and collard greens with liquid smoke, worcestershire sauce, and tobasco .

Make a pile of rice and serve with beans and greens on top.

Lots of luck for a happy new year!



*I use a fancy rice cooker which I love even more than my vita-mix. I know you can cook rice for free with a pot on the stove, but with the rice cooker all you do is put in rice and water and turn it on. It beeps when it's done. You can even leave it on for hours after it's done and the rice stays warm and perfect. I also don't have a microwave, so it warms up rice that's been in the fridge to perfection.

No comments: