Saturday, January 1, 2011

Black bean & black olive cutlet

Happy New Year everyone! So far I'm making good on my resolution to blog more which means I'll have to make stuff other than tofurky cheesesteaks and tofu rancheros to keep you interested. Experimental cooking also helps with 2 other resolutions of eating better and taking my lunches to work. We'll see how long this lasts...

This black bean and black olive cutlet is a modified version of the vcon chickpea cutlet inspired by the black olive seitan at Sacred Chow in NYC. Both the black beans and olives are surprisingly subtle flavors in the finished cutlet.
I wanted to make something with black eyed peas for new years, but I only had dried and although they're soaking now, I wanted some cutlets sooner rather than later. Can of black beans to the rescue. It's still beans and vegans need fried hangover food, too. I went to Phish at Madison Square Garden last night, not that I need an excuse to be hungover on New Years Day.

I used kalamata olives, that had pits in them. Luckily I had this handy cherry pitter that made popping the pits out a snap. If you're ever in a cooking gadgets store and debate the cherry pitter, just throw it in the cart, then store it at home in the gadget drawer with the can opener. You'll use it more than you think.

Black Bean & Black Olive Cutlets

1 cup cooked or canned black beans
1/3 cup chopped black olives (about 12)
1/4 tsp basil
1/2 tsp thyme
1/2 tsp dried chives (optional - I get them from Penzys and use them all the time)
1 tsp parsley
1 TBS soy sauce
2 TBS olive oil
1/4 cup vegetable broth or water
1/2 cup bread crumbs
1/2 cup vital wheat gluten.

Canola oil for frying

Blend together the beans, olives, herbs, soy sauce, olive oil and broth. Add to medium bowl. Add bread crumbs and gluten and mix together until combined. Then knead in the bowl for a few minutes. Ball it together, then divide into 4 pieces. Flatten the pieces out with your hands to make cutlets. Fry until browned and crispy, about 5 minutes each side.

The cutlets are well seasoned, so you don't need a sauce for this unless, you just like things saucy. For a main dish serve with mashed potatoes and greens or as a sandwich with a little sriracha vegenaise. Also delicious pulled apart and eaten with your fingers, straight off the cooling rack.

Happy New Year!

4 comments:

Tami said...

Man, I'll be those have awesome flavor.

Happy 2011!

Jenny said...

Olives in a cutlet sounds great!

Jillian Benson said...

I made them! They were super. Thanks for the original flavor combination!

Picture here:
http://jillianbenson.tumblr.com/post/2645780076/black-bean-and-olive-cutlets-adapted-from-vegan

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That sounds mighty tasty!