Monday, March 29, 2010

Eggplant parmesan

Eh, I've made it before and I'll make it again. I know it's not in season, but the eggplants at the store looked pretty good for who knows where they came from. Anyways, I'll remember that when I'm drowning in fresh local eggplant in the summer.The secret to a good eggplant parm is the frying. This time I did bother to salt, sit, and rinse, but honestly I've never noticed a difference. I find that instead of breadcrumbs, just a nice flour coating makes for a perfectly crispy eggplant. I also used the Tofutti mozzarella.
Eggplant parm
Eggplant:
1 Eggplant sliced lengthwise about 1/4 inch thick
1/4 cup flour (or more if needed)
1/4 cup soy milk (or more if needed)
Canola oil
Sauce:
2 TBS olive oil
2-10 cloves of garlic
1 big can crushed tomatoes
1 tsp salt
2 TBS sugar
1 TBS Italian seasoning
(a bunch of fresh basil if you've got it)
Soy cheese
Start with the sauce. Heat olive oil and saute garlic. Add tomatoes, salt, sugar, and seasoning. If adding basil chop up all the leaves and add it. Let simmer while you fry the eggplant.
Heat oil in a cash iron skillet until a droplet of water sizzles. You don't want it too hot or it'll burn before it's cooked. Dip eggplant slices in soy milk, then coat in flour. Cook two at a time for about 10 minutes one side, then 5 on the other. Drain on a cooling rack.
To assemble the ensemble...
I use mini loaf pans, but you can do this in any sized baking pan. Put down a layer of sauce to coat the bottom of the pan. Add Eggplant slice, top with sauce, then cheese, then repeat. Bake in the oven until the cheese is melty.
I like the mini loaf pans, because I can just heat up one serving in the toaster oven and voila, yummy Italian goodness.

3 comments:

jessy said...

eggplant parmesan is one of my favorites and i loooove your version, Jenn! i have yet to try the tofutti cheeze slices - i need to snag some when they go on sale, as i remember they do often. very cool on the eggplant not needing the salting and such - it makes things faster when you can skip it and next time i'm gonna try it without the process, too. your eggplant parmesan looks fantastical with the rice flour coating and all the melty cheeze on top. mmmmmmmmmm!

Vic Robinson said...

Awesome! I guess it is time for me to try the Tofutti cheese slices. They seem to be a big hit with the vegan cheese community.

Bianca said...

Yum! I'm kinda bummed because I think my Kroger store stopped carrying Tofutti! Whole Foods here stopped carrying it forever ago, but I could always buy it at Kroger...and now, not so much. :-(