Sunday, July 25, 2010

Eggplant-Potato Moussaka from Veganomicon

I started off planning to make some veggie lasagna so I went hunting for the pine nut cream recipe in the Veganomicon. The pine nut cream actually goes with the Eggplant-Potato Moussaka, so I switched gears and decided to make moussaka. As instructed, I tried reading the recipe aloud three times and clicking my heels, but following the recipe was almost as easy.
I'd already roasted eggplant, zucchini, onions, and garlic, so this was even easier to make than lasagna. I just roasted the potato layer, simmered the sauce, and blended the pine nut cream. Layer it all together and pop in the oven.

The pine nut cream gets a little crusty on top and really seals the deal on this dish. Totally easy and delicious.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is an awesome recipe. The sauce is rockstar!

Courtney's Vegan Journal said...

We had this dish served at our wedding. SO GOOD!

Dianne said...

thanks for the review and pictures! This is one of those recipes that intimidated me from that cookbook!

Anonymous said...

beautiful!

peggy said...

that looks super yummy. and there is a ton of zucchini and eggplant fresh at the farmers market right now. im gonna have to make that!

foodfeud said...

I heard pine nuts can leave a weird lasting taste in yr mouth! Would another nut work too? Walnuts maybe?

River said...

You have just inspired me to make moussaka! I've checked out that recipe several times but for some reason I've never made it. That crusty top looks awesome!

Anonymous said...

That looks absolutely amazing! I adore moussaka and tend to make it one Sunday a month at least.
Your recipe is so much better than mine though, I will be making this version next time.

Jen said...

i'm ashamed to admit, i've always been intimidated to follow that recipe. i just make the moussaka myself, a la improv.