Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Banana Orange Bundt Cake

Orange you glad I said banana?

Today's cake is adapted from the Carrot Cake/Banana Bread recipe in the original 1977 Moosewood Cookbook. The cookbook cover fell off ages ago and it is held together by a rubber band. My mom annotated the pages with such fantastic sayings as "Peggy brought this to dinner-fabulous!" My parents used to have a gourmet group with their friends in the early 80's and I think one of the themes was vegetarian, or at least recipes from the Moosewood Cookbook.

I was watching My Big Fat Greek Wedding recently and I realized I didn't have a bundt pan. I got one of those floppy silicone ones at Bed Bath and Beyond, so I'm testing that out*. This recipe usually makes 2 loaf sized cakes, but fills a bundt pan perfectly.

Banana Orange Bundt Cake

The wet stuff:
1 cup oil (I used canola)
1 3/4 cup sugar (I used sugar in the raw)
1 cup soft tofu
2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp almond extract
1/2 tsp orange extract

The dry stuff:
4 cups flour (I used KAF 2C white whole wheat and 2C all purpose)
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda
3 tsp baking powder

The orange banana stuff:
2 cups smashed ripe banana
1 cup OJ

Preheat oven to 350 and grease bundt pan.

In a medium bowl (or this cool sifter thingy,) mix all the dry stuff together.

In a separate bowl, mix the mashed banana and OJ together

In a large bowl, beat the oil and sugar in a large bowl until most of the sugar has dissolved. Add tofu and blend thoroughly. Add extracts.

Alternately mix in 1/3 dry mix, then 1/3 banana, and repeat until all incorporated, but don't over-mix.

Pour into prepared pan and bake for 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.

Cool in pan 10 min, then turn out onto cooling rack.

Once cool, you can eat as is, or make a quick orange glaze.

Orange glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
2 tsp soy milk
1/2 tsp orange extract.

Blend together with an electric mixer and drizzle over cooled cake.

*Verdict is that the silicone bundt pan is quite awesome. You have to put it on a baking sheeet, so it's level in the oven, but it came out of the pan perfectly...and the cake is pretty delish, too.

7 comments:

vegan.in.brighton said...

Oh yum, that looks delicious. I need to get myself a bundt pan asap!

For the Love of Guava said...

mm... this looks amazing... I too need a bundt pan... and possibly a ruffly apron and peach heels!!! Hehee... I think a version of this with my juice pulp would be killer!

x said...

Yum, I love orangey flavoured cakes!

Tara said...

Ooh, bundt! Doesn't everything seem homier in bundt form? Your cake looks fantastic!

Amanda said...

he he he!! thanks for the flashback to Big Fat Greek Wedding. Bundts and windex..love that movie!

Your cake looks amazing..I must try. Please let us know how your new cake pan works out..I just bought some silicon cupcake/muffin liners so I'll be testing those out once this hot humid weather passes..until then, the oven is off =(

p.s. I finally tried Dr. Cow..YUM! We never made it to Lifethyme (maybe next trip) but got some at One Lucky Duck's cold case.

Jen said...

oy vey mir, that looks great! i bet a nice cup of hazlenut DECAF would go well with that treat.

note to self: ask channukah harry for a bundt pan....

Anonymous said...

Woah mama! That looks delish! I've gotta try that recipe!