Sunday, September 29, 2013

2013 Mofo 15 - Vegan Scrapple

Scrapple.  The mid-atlantic region's contribution to breakfast food.   Even among aficionados, there is great contention over brands.  We always had RAPA in my house and my dad had a special technique including timing, and using the right pan and lid to get the perfect crunch on the outside, leaving the middle warm and soft.

What is scrapple you ask?  It's a savory cornmeal slab of breakfast protein most often made with pork parts.  Make no mistake; scrapple is delicious.

I've tried to make vegan scrapple in the past and it was good, but not something I'd really bother with on a day to day basis.

This time, fully inspired by not one, but TWO facebook friends dissin' a vegan scrapple article - (Now available in PA!) - I felt the need for a self-directed thrown down.  In case you're wondering, I won.  Quick and easy scrapple turned out freakin' fantastic.  A little chewier in the middle than the original, but nice flavor and holds up well on toast with ketchup.


Vegan Scrapple

1 cup beans
1/2 cup water
1 heaping tsp sage
1 heaping tsp savory
1 heaping tsp thyme
2 tsp salt
pinch black pepper
pinch nutmeg
pinch cloves
pinch allspice

1 cup cornmeal
1 cup vital wheat gluten

Blend together the beans, water, and spices.  In a separate bowl mix cornmeal and gluten.  Add the mix from the blender to the cornmeal and gluten and knead together.  Form a ball and press into a square shape.


Then slice into 1/2 inch slices.  Mine made seven slabs.


Fry until browned and flip.  Approx five minutes each side.


Serve straight up with a scramble or pancakes, whatever you might have sausage or bacon with.  I obviously like it on toast with ketchup.   

4 comments:

voteprime said...

Wow, that looks really delicious! And a wonderful new addition to the vegan scrapple club!

The Liberty Belle said...

Awesome! Thanks for sharing your recipe! What sort of beans did you use (garbanzo, kidney, pinto, black beans....??)

Unknown said...

Did you use pinto, cannellini or pink?
Turtlebeans, soldier beans, fava,or broad?
Tell us, for otherwise I cannot think
to come up with a vrapple that won't come out odd.
I like black beans, red beans, and butterbeans too,
but these could all render the renderings bad..
I don't want scravapple to taste like my shoe.
Might you tell us which beans your bean recipe had?

#WrittenwithmoreLovethansarcasm<3

Jenn said...

I use whatever small meaty beans I have on hand. It's really the seasoning and cornmeal that makes them scrapple like.