Monday, February 15, 2010

Easy Tofu Rancheros

Mmm Mexcellent. I like a good savory breakfast/brunch item. These tofu rancheros fit the bill nicely.


Tofu Rancheros for one

1 TBS corn oil (or annatto oil for a nice mexicany color)
2 TBS onion
1 green chili (I used canned)
1/4 block tofu (the bridge tofu pressed overnight in the super awesome tofu Xpress*)
1 tsp adobo seasoning
1/4 tsp black salt
1/4 tsp turmeric

1/2 cup salsa (I used Zukay mild salsa viva)

2 corn tortillas

In a small skillet (cast iron if you've got it), saute onion and chili in a little corn oil until softened. Add the adobo seasoning. Add broken up pieces of tofu and add black salt and turmeric. Cook about 5 minutes until tofu is warmed. While tofu is cooking toast 2 corn tortillas to get warm and just a little crispy. Move tofu mixture to one side of the pan and add salsa to the other. Heat salsa for 2-3 minutes to warm and reduce any excess liquid.

Place warmed tortillas on a plate and top with tofu mixture, then pour on heated salsa. Enjoy with a little chipotle vegenaise (1/2 canned chipotle chopped and mixed with 2 TBS Vegenaise) or tofutti sour cream.

Enjoy!

*Just so you know, I don't get awesome free stuff from any of the vendors I'm pimping on my blog. It's just an honest appraisal of the products I've found, purchased, and use. I obviously like cooking gadgets and I grocery shop as a hobby. If anyone wants to send me some free stuff to review I'm all for it.

I did get some POM juice last year, and I noted that they sent it to me. And Frito Lay sent me a coupon, but that's because I sent them a message that I was really happy they made vegan Doritos. I don't think they're reading my vegan blog.

7 comments:

Bianca said...

Mmmm...I make something similar to that for breakfast sometimes with tofu and black beans. Nothing beats a savory breakfast.

River - The Crafty Kook said...

So yummy! And no cilantro! YAY - I hate that stuff! :D

Free stuff to review is fun! Sometimes I turn things down because I know I won't like them and I don't want to have to write a negative review. Like cherries, anything cherry flavor is going to get an awful review from me! :D

Mike K said...

Those are some seriously good looking tofu rancheros! I've never heard of that tofu xpress gadget, but what a great idea. My tofu press is a jumble of plates, canned tomatoes, and a kitchen towel, that sometimes tips over. I think I need a tofu xpress :)

Tami said...

I'm hooked on the tofu xpress, too. I like tofu really firm and it does the job.

Awesome looking rancheros!

Thanks again for testing for the book and I have dreams of coming to NYC. Especially since I've never been there.

Amanda said...

Yum! I'm a late bloomer to the whole rancheros thing but making up for it in my 30s!! Glad you liked your PIF!!

Jen Treehugger said...

YUMMY! That looks amazing. Hope you get sent some free stuff.
:)

miss v said...

yum! i'm always craving a veganized huevos rancheros whenever we eat mexican food. awesome recipe!