Sunday, April 12, 2009

Quiche!

Yeah I don't think I'll get the ninja to eat this, but after my earlier frittata success, I just had to see if this would come out.

This time the scramble part had onion, garlic, collard greens, leeks, carrot, celery, and a veggie burger.
The "eggy" part was:

1/3 cup firm tofu
1/3 cup vegetable broth
2 TBS nutritional yeast
2 TBS masa harina
1 tsp lemon juice
A pinch of salt

Blend together

I put the scramble in a small casserole dish then poured on the eggy part. Baked at 400 about a half hour. I think leeks make everything taste good, but this was really nice. I was surprised how quiche like it actually was. Last week I used chickpea flour which made the eggy mix kind of hummus like, so this week I subbed the masa harina from the failed tortilla attempt. The masa harina is fine enough that it's not corn bready, but still firms the whole thing up nicely.

Glad I ate something before heading off to brunch with friends. I did check the menu and I can get a fruit salad and pasta. Next time I'm dragging them out for a vegan brunch.

Happy Easter or Passover or whatever you're celebrating!

7 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

Mmmm that looks awesome Jenn.
:)

Bianca said...

Yum yum! I need to make tofu quiche again soon...it's been years since I've made any. And it tastes so, so good.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Ah yes, leeks make everything taste good. Your quiche looks so quichey! I miss tofu! :-(

Gina said...

Looks awesome Jenn! I love tofu quiche...and actually my husband really likes it too.

mamavegana said...

How freaky is this,... I have been craving a "Gemüsekuchen" (Veggiecake) for a couple of days but have been looking for a recipe for a "Guss" (stuff you pour on top of the veggies)... I was thinking tofu-something and here you come up with just what I need !!!

Thank you !!! now I can still my heart's desire ;o)
Hoppy Easter !!!

Anonymous said...

Ohhh babe I wanna make this!! drooling...
what's masa harina? Is it really necessary? any subs?

Binx said...

great idea on the masa harina! this looks damn good.