Friday, October 10, 2008

Vegan MoFo day 10 The fancy rice cooker

I love my fancy rice cooker. I have an older model, but basically the same size (3 cup capacity.) I know it's pricey, but I love, love, love it. Wait for Amazon to have a sale on kitchen stuff or use one of those promotional gift cards you might get if you bought something else (Recently, I got a $25 Amazon gift card with my subscription to the Economist, which I was going to buy anyway, so nice bonus.)
You may not have heard of Zojirushi, but it's the MacDaddy of Japanese cooking electronics and they make the favorite bread machine of King Arthur Flour. So don't be scared of the name when comparing it to another familiar brand that might make your stereo.

I have the 3 cup capacity and it is perfect for 1 or 2 people. It's small and cute and can sit on the counter if you have space, or easily stored (retractable cord hides underneath.) There are bigger models for larger families.

I use it for sushi rice, basmati rice, wild rice, Rice & Beans, Mexican rice, brown rice, porridge, oatmeal, polenta, wheat berries; basically anything that absorbs its cooking liquid.

The real perk is that the perfectly cooked rice stays perfect LONG (hours and hours) after cooking. I can turn it on when I get home and it's ready whenever I get around to putting together whatever is going with the rice. There is also a timer; if you're really organized you could set it in the morning for dinnertime.

I forgot to even mention that the cooking bowl comes out and is so easy to clean. Thanks for the comment Binx.

http://www.amazon.com/Zojirushi-NS-LAC05-Cooker-Warmer-Stainless/dp/B000G30ESY/ref=pd_sbs_k_2

Spanishish rice

1 cup long grain (brown) rice (plus water according to package)
1 Tbs annatto oil (annatto seeds steeped in oil-I use corn oil)
1/4 cup pitted alcaparrado (fancy name for olives with pimentos and capers)
1/2 cup sofrito (onion, garlic, peppers, cilantro)

Throw all that in the rice cooker with the water amount for the type of rice you're using and press the shiny red button (in the voice of stimpy) or:

Cook rice with the amount of water and cooking time on package, adding oil, olives and capers (and a little extra brine if you like) and sofrito.

9 comments:

Bex said...

I love it when someone does the leg work for me. Research, try it out. A rice cooker is one of those things I don't need but would like. Now I have a good brand to look at.

Joanna said...

O-M-G Your rice cooker is absolutely stunning. I just got the Zojirushi bread machine for my birthday and haven't had time to use it yet. It took me weeks to decide what brand to get, but finally decided on this one.

I didn't know you could make oatmeal and polenta in a rice cooker. I eat oatmeal practically every day, so it would be nice to make big batches of it.

I'll live vicariously through you until I can get one haha

coldandsleepy said...

Oh man, I LOVE rice cookers so much. Sometimes I tell people about all the stuff I cook in the rice cooker (basically all grains and lentils and even beans sometimes) and they just go like uhhhh you know those things are for RICE right. Jerks.

My 3 cup rice cooker, while perfectly sized, is nowhere near as beautiful as yours. I'm jealous!

the little one said...

Okay, so I totally need that because the few times I tried to cook rice on the stove, I totally burned it. Who knew rice was so hard? I guess me.

Anonymous said...

I love your Stimpy comment...made me laugh! Thanks for the rice recipe!

Binx said...

we have an old, less fancy rice cooker, but yes, they are so amazingly useful. And I always, without fail, forget how easy it is to clean until I clean it. :)

Nicole said...

Woah, that is FANCY!

Anonymous said...

I would LOVE a Zojirushi rice cooker, but they just aren't really available in England, if you can believe that! I am so envious!

Zoey said...

Hi Jenn,

Thanks for your review on this rice maker. I have been thinking about getting one for awhile and I may treat myself for my birthday. I also heard that it plays a cute song when the rice is finished cooking.