Sunday, December 7, 2008

Artichoke Sunflower Spread

Last week when I was defrosting my ancient freezer, I forgot to put back the bag of artichokes, so they've been thawed in the fridge all week. They're still good, but I needed to use them now.

I found the artichoke sunflower spread in Robin Robertson's Vegan Planet. I had some raw sunflower seeds and the time to soak them, so this was a snap.
The only thing is that the recipe calls for 2 cloves of garlic, and I wasn't thinking that this isn't cooked, so I picked 2 giant cloves of garlic. Tastes yummy, but I am definitely keeping the vampires away. Hopefully, I'm keeping a cold away, too. Anyway, err on the side of 2 smallish to normal garlic cloves for polite company. I also used celery salt for the salt since I have that giant overdog salt from the snarky vegan. I spread it on some crackers and topped with a little smoked paprika to make it pretty. This would be great to take to a pot luck or holiday party!

In addition to the giant Vegan Planet, Fire and Spice, and other books, Robin is seeking testers for her new cookbook of 1000 vegan recipes. I hope she picks me to help out! Check out her site Vegan Planet for the details.

9 comments:

Tara said...

I love Vegan Planet! I'm glad that the spread turned out ok for you, and that you were able to use your artichokes. I hope Robin picks you to be a tester! I know that I'm not detail-oriented enough to test, but I'm interested to see what the new book is like.

Amanda said...

Yum! Her book is on my xmas list!

Joanna said...

jenn, i forgot to thank you for posting that link to the edward cullen pictures!!! he looks hotter than ever in them!!!!

my friend was telling me that she saw a pillowcase with edward's face on it. can you imagine sleeping on edward every night?!?!? haha

and the more garlic the better!!!! i bet it tasted amazing. before veg, i would always buy this warm artichoke cheese dip and eat it with a big chunk of italian bread. uhh to die for!

the little one said...

Why you tellin' others about the call?! She should just pick you and me to be testers! He. He.

I love Vegan Planet. I never made the dish here though. Of course, there are so many recipes in that book that it is overwhelming!

Alisa said...

That recipe sounds great! I have to get that cookbook. I have Vegan Fire & Spice, but have heard such good things about Vegan Planet.

Tami said...

Your dip looks great-- and I'd love it with lots of garlic.

I'm a big fan of Fire and Spice and Vegan Planet. There are so many recipes in there that I always get excited to see one!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

I'm not a big fan of artichokes, so I'm always trying to find new ways to "convert" myself. This sounds extremely interesting! YAY!

For the Love of Guava said...

oh good idea! I totally have to make some spreads with my celery salt! that looks absolutely delish lady!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

I really want to try that spread now. Looks good.