Thursday, December 18, 2008

More celebration field roast!

Fastest meal ever.
Slice 4 thin pieces of celebration roast. Put in toaster oven with 2 pieces of bread and toast. While that's toasting, mix a little ketchup, relish and vegenaise. Pull out toast, spread on vegenaise mix, and pile on the roast. I didn't have sauerkraut, otherwise I would have called it a ruben. Open a bag of chips, and voila dinner!

The celebration field roast is so versatile. It's great sliced for sandwiches cold or hot. You can bake it whole and serve as a centerpiece. You can fry slices or just toast them.
What I usually do is slice 2 pieces about 1/2 inches thick and simmer in a cup of vegetable broth. When hot, remove loaf and add a cornstarch slurry to make a gravy out of the broth. Yesterday, I added some extra chopped mushrooms to the gravy which made it even better.

The field roast sausages are really good too. Versitile as well, you can cook them whole and serve in sub rolls. Slice them up and serve in spaghetti or on pizza. Chop them up and put in burritos or pasta sauce. The other bonus is that the plastic "casing" is twisted sealed between each sausage and the unused sausages stay freshly sealed in the package, so they don't go bad quickly.

Iron Man was OK. Better than Daredevil and Spiderman, but not as good as Batman or X-men. I know this is Robert Downey Jr's blockbuster comeback, but really this film would be lost without him. He's funny. The weird facial hair works. The story is predictable, and the foreshadowing is so transparent, you know what's going to happen before it does. But, hey, it's a superhero comic book story, and it delivers. Also there's NO WAY Gwenneth could possibly run in those shoes. No way.

9 comments:

Tami said...

Yum! What a great sandwich. Sauerkraut would have put it over the top.

jessy said...

okay, now i'm totally sold on the celebration field roast! mmmmmmmmmmmmm! i think the next time i'm at my local natural foods store i'm going to have to pick one up. your sammie sounds good - and vegenaise + relish + ketchup!?! could the combination be anymore awesome!?! i think not!

aaaaaaaaaaaahahahahaa! his facial hair IS crazy in that movie - but kinda neat. and i thought the same thing about her shoes! i remember being "shooshed" in the movie because i kinda shouted that out! ahahahaaaaaa! i can't even walk in heels, let alone run in them! ;)

Bianca said...

Damn, I wish I'd thought of that when I had leftover Celebration Roast after T-day.

On the Uncheese book, I have the 1994 version with the magenta, green, and yellow cover (that was designed by Nava Atlas). I know there are a couple versions out there. Sucks that soup isn't in yours!

Anonymous said...

Mmmm, my kind of food!
And you are totally right~ of course Gweneth couldn't run in those shoes! (The flying man in a metal suit was far more believable than her running in those heels! Teehee!) >;o)

Jen Treehugger said...

Now that just made my tummy growl!!
If I don't get the chance again then I want to wish you and all your loved ones a Happy, Healthy and Safe Yule, Christmas and New Year.
xxxxx

Eve Love said...

happy hollidays to you too Jeni!

I'm totally in love with celebration roast now that i've try it. Hot, cold, for a big fancy supper or just a quick snack. If it was sold near my little home, i would be eating some everyday. I'm waiting for a delivery of 3 right now...
never try the sausage. are they as good? and the deli?

For the Love of Guava said...

man... I need to find me some of that celebration roast!

Gina said...

I've never had the Celebration Roast, although they do have it at my local store...you just may have convinced me to cough up the cash for it!

I didn't see Iron Man...although I would imagine almost anything would be better than Daredevil.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

I still haven't tried the celebration field roast! What is WRONG with me?!

I've been rooting for Robert Downey Jr. for a long time! I'm glad he's "back"!