Monday, December 29, 2008

Cash Shoes and Cashews - Payless and Dr. Cow Cheese

I got three pairs of vegan work/walk to work shoes for a total of $42.98 at payless. That sum usually buys barely one shoe. I don't know about all payless shoes, but everything I looked at was all man made materials. All three are surprisingly comfortable and now I can release some leather work shoes to a thrift shop.

I also finally picked up some Dr. Cow's nut cheese. If you miss stinky french cheeses, don't hesitate and get some now. If you don't live in New York you can order it online. I got mine at Life Thyme near Union Square.


I'm serving this with some nice yellow tail shiraz I got for a Christmas gift. It's just me, but it's so fancy I had to be "serving it" somehow. This is hands down my favorite veganized something I've had yet. You'd never know it is cashew cheese. The cream cheese is mild and has some bite and the aged is pungent and earthy.Next time someone has a wine and cheese party, I'm totally bringing this.

14 comments:

Gina said...

Oooh, you liked it a lot? I've heard such conflicting reviews. I know that if and when I come upon it though, I will definitely try it.

Shiraz is definitely my favorite red wine also...which is a huge generalization, I am aware, but I do love it.

I love that so many cheap shoes are vegan, hehe.

Tara said...

Wow, shoes AND cheese? The shoes are very cute and the cheese looks scrumptious.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Cowless Dr. Cow's cheese and cowless shoes! Cute shoes!!

jessy said...

the nut cheese sound wonderful! that's awesome that you were able to score some! jealousface! ;) mmmmmmmmmm! i totally want to give them a whirl. i'm visiting my brother in NY in the spring and i'm going to grab some while i'm up there! yummy!

yellowtail is one of my favs! i loooove their shiraz-grenache wine, too! so tasty!

Eve Love said...

dr.Cow's cheese are amazing!! I can't describe how revolutionnary this product is... aged vegan cheese... wow.
I didn't taste the cream one, but I tried the aged cashew, aged cashew with fennel pollen, with dulse, with algua and they are all pretty good.
I'll blog about it in a few days.

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

Sounds good - most vegan cheese i've tried has been hideous.

I <3 shoes!

Tami said...

I've tried one Dr. Cow's and loved it.. now I definitely have to order more. I agree- it's perfect with wine!

Sindy said...

I LOVE Payless ('cause I love a bargain!)- just found your site... it's amazing how many great vegan blogs are out there... check mine out if you have the chance!

Anonymous said...

Neat shoes! I've never heard of cashew cheese, interesting. How does it cook? (melting, etc)?

Jenn said...

I don't specifically plan to cook with the Dr. Cow cheese. It's more for the cheese plate. The cream cheese style is similar to goat cheese, so I could plop it in a salad or on a pizza. The aged cheese is drier, so again I don't have any immediate plans to cook with it, but it might make a nice topping crumbled on pizza or pasta.

Michelle said...

I've been reading a lot about that cheese as well. Guess I'm going ot have to try some!

I hear you, on vegan shoe prices!
I have found some really reasonable shoes @ http://www.vegetarianshoesandbags.com/ though. PLUS, they have great boots,handbags and accesories!

Zarebski said...

Great finds..! Payless is my favorite store to get affordable shoes.

Jenn said...

OH - I save my money for shoes from Vegetarian Shoes and Novaca (Love Mooshoes.com!). I hate buying the shoes from Payless because they are all from China and you have no idea about the work conditions where the shoes are made.

Virginia Janet said...

Great finds.!! Payless is really a nice place to buy affordable shoes. I used to shop there.