Sunday, December 7, 2008

Dark Days Challenge#3-Pesto spaghetti squash and brussel sprouts

Sometimes I do plan ahead. I had chopped up some summer basil with olive oil and stashed it in the freezer for just such an occasion. This is my first attempt at spaghetti squash, and although clearly it's meant to come out in strands like spaghetti, it was kind of hard to get a good pile that actually looked like spaghetti in a photo. The pesto squash is paired with some fresh local off the stalk Brussel sprouts and a local Cabernet Franc from Millbrook winery.

Spaghetti squash
Pesto
Brussel Sprouts
Wine

Roast spaghetti squash. I baked mine at 375 for about an hour. Maybe I cooked it too long and that's why the strands kind of mushed together. Still yummy. The squash flavor just plain is nice also.

Pesto: 1 Heaping (Lovin') Spoonfull each
Chopped basil (mine was frozen with olive oil)
Chopped toasted squash seeds (from squash)-mine are borderline too toasted
Nutritional yeast (or something like parm cheese)
Nut butter (I used almond from Tierra Farms)
Olive oil
Big pinch or so of salt
1 clove of garlic (I forgot it, but it's good anyway)
My squash was already warmed from baking, so I just mixed it with the pesto and voila; lunch.
The brussel sprouts were roasted with some olive oil and I just added a bit more oil and some fresh local rosemary, sage and seasoned salt to dress them. They're just as good mixed in with the pesto squash.

As I said before, the dark days challenge is not vegan, but locavore. Vegans are representing in the East (me), South (Brett and Jennifer) and 2 from the West Chessa and Bethany. The challenge is to try to make and write about 1 meal a week that is 90% local during the dark days of winter.

6 comments:

the little one said...

Local looks delicious!

Unknown said...

Oh no! Spaghetti squash mush disaster!

It happens to everyone. Mine was potentially a little undercooked last time, but it did make nice strands. Checking it with a fork jab helps you know when it's done. I usually start that around 35-40 minutes and repeat every 5 minutes after until it seems good. Of course, smaller squashes cook faster.

And yay for using the seeds! I love roasted squash seeds.

Anonymous said...

Okay, you've just inspired me for dinner. I have a spaghetti squash I need to use, and got some wonderful brussels sprouts in my winter CSA on Saturday. This just sounds so good. No pesto sadly, I was less-smart about preserving the overflow basil I had this summer - next year I'll know!

You know what I've found about spaghetti squash? The strands seem to separate better if I let it stand for a few minutes after cooking. Maybe because it sets up? Don't know, but maybe give it a shot next time? Brussels sprouts - those really are a food where simple is the best.

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Spaghetti shmaghetti! It looks delicious in its own uniqueness!

For the Love of Guava said...

hmm... I wonder if my brussel sprouts will ever be big stalks like that??? ^_^

Vic Robinson said...

Bring those brussel sprouts! ;)