Saturday, October 17, 2009

Blossom NYC vegan meet up for Farm Sanctuary

I tell people I write a vegan cooking blog. Vegan eating blog would be more accurate.

Last night I went to a NYC vegan eat-up event at Blossom to support the Farm Sanctuary. Both Blossom locations were donating 10% of each bill to the sanctuary.

Thanks to all the eat-uppers for snapping shots of their food. I really didn't eat all this...

Appetizers!I had the black-eyed pea cake. Crispy cake of yukon gold potatoes and black eyed peas, served with chipotle aioli. Yum! This might have been a special, I don't know what it's called, but I had a bite and it was tasty. The base was a light pastry and it was topped with mushrooms. Potato leek soup. Wish I got that! It was a cold and stormy night... Cape Cod Cakes. A blend of hiziki seaweed, tofu, potato, herbs and spices, served with a vegan tartar sauce. These are also super yummy, I had them the last time I was here.
Ravioli with Cashew Cream. Spinach, mushroom, and pine nut filling. This is good, too. There's not a whole lot in the filling, so it's a good appetizer size.
Entrees! Seitan Scaloppini. Seitan cutlets in a white wine, lemon and caper sauce, served with mashed potatoes and sautéed kale. This is one of Blossom's signature dishes. I got the Port Wine Seitan. Seitan cutlets pan-seared in a sauce of port wine and mushrooms, accompanied by creamy mashed potatoes, tempura onion and sautéed garlic spinach. This was the perfect warming comfort meal for a fall evening that felt like winter! Vegetable Mezze Plate. Our Chef’s preparation of fresh vegetables accompanied by spiced quinoa. You really can't beat piles of perfectly roasted vegetables.
Hickory basted tempeh. Looks good! A couple people got this and really enjoyed it.

Fun evening with excellent food and great company to support the farm animals.
Cheers!

4 comments:

Debra said...

It all looks so good. Thanks for sharing!
Debra @ Vegan Family Style

Anonymous said...

'Twas hickory basted!

Jenny said...

I love looking at vegan eats and would rather post about the fancy food I get at restaurants!
Never made it to Blossom but loved Cafe B. I think I'd get Cape Cod or black eyed pea cakes...or ravioli...oh who knows

Tami said...

Oh man... I want that Port Seitan so much!!! It all looks incredible.