Sunday, October 11, 2009

Copycat gift cookies...

So I'm off to visit my 84 year old first cousin once removed* and her 92 year old husband. What to bring for the oldies but goodies...hhmmm...this is tough...cookies! Yes, everyone likes cookies, so let's go with an everything cookie adapted from the recipe from the canister of walmart oatmeal. I was too lazy to look this up before making them, but here's the original everything cookie recipe. The everything cookie II
1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

3/4 cup canola oil
1 cup sugar
1 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup applesauce
2 TBS soy milk (not sure this is necessary, but I used it anyway)
2 tsp vanilla

4 cups rolled oats
1 cup chocolate chips
1 cup walnuts (ground to a powder)
1 cup raisins
1 cup dried cranberries

Preheat oven to 375.

Mix together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt in a small bowl and set aside.

In a separate large bowl mix together the oil, sugars, applesauce, soymilk, and vanilla. When well blended add the flour mixture and blend together. Add the oats, and mix, add the choc chips, walnuts, raisins, and cranberries, and mix together after each addition.

Drop by tablespoonfull onto ungreased cookie sheets. They don't spread much so leave about an inch of space. Bake 13-15 min. Let cook on cookie sheet for about a minute, then transfer to a cooling rack.

I totally stole the tea box from Isa, but the ancient ones don't have the interwebs, so they'll think I'm a total genius that I invented this myself.

*Just in case anyone is wondering, my first cousin once removed is my mom's first cousin. The once removed is the generation skip. Her kids are my second cousins, etc.

9 comments:

Debra said...

It looks good!

nora said...

i love isa's tea box idea! it was meant to be stolen though haha

jessy said...

oatmeal cookies are some of my favorites - i love yours with the cranberries added in. mmmmmmmm! hooray for making such delicious cookies for your cousin and her husband - too awesome! i love the tea box idea, too!

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

i'm with ya - when in doubt, bring cookies!

They sound yummy.

miss v said...

cookies are the best gift... and i love the oats in them!

Tracy said...

They look and sound amazing! I hope you had fun with your family. :c) You are lucky to have them around and they you.

Amanda said...

Nice! I bet they loved them!

Susan said...

Yum! Cookies are great gifts. I love the tea box idea, I just need to have some free boxes!

Jenny said...

the cousin thing always alludes me...i never know what to call mine...