Monday, October 19, 2009

Meatless Monday Gnocchi with cilantro pesto

This dish just sort of happened. I wanted gnocchi, but I kind of wanted something Mexican and needed to use up some cooked pinto beans and some cilantro that was threatening to wilt. Voila gnocchi with cilantro pesto.

Prepackaged gnocchi (I'll save homemade gnocchi for anther time)


1TBS olive oil

1/2 cup quick sofrito
1 cup cooked pinto beans
1 cup cooked leafy greens
1 cup canned tomatoes with juice

Quick sofrito:
2 cloves garlic
1/2 onion
1/2 green pepper
1 small bunch cilantro

Topping:
1/4 cup almonds
1/4 cup nutritional yeast

Boil water for gnocchi. Blend together almonds and nutritional yeast and set aside. Blend together sofrito ingredients. Add olive oil and 1/2 cup sofrito to pan and saute a few minutes to soften. Blend together pinto beans, greens (I used kale) and tomatoes. Add blended ingredients to saute pan with sofrito and heat thoroughly. Cook gnocchi and add to sauce pot to coat. Top with almond/nooch topping.

6 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

I've never had gnocchi Jenn. For some reason I have the idea in my head that they are all doughy and starchy. I'd like to try it so I'll look forward to your home made gnocchi cos this meal looks really good.

Pretty Zesty said...

yum I just love gnocchi!!!

jessy said...

cilantro pesto sounds awesome, Jenn! i think i'd love something like this! i haven't had gnocchi in years - i may have to search around for a gluten-free gnocchi recipe & make some soon. i had forgotten how deeeeeelicious it is. mmmmmmmmm!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

Such a great idea!

Sindy said...

Cool idea- I don't think I've ever made gnocchi before, so I look forward to your made-from-scratch recipe!

Sophia said...

That gnocchi looks awesome, I love gnocchi!
http://whatyourmommadidntknow.blogspot.com/