Sunday, October 4, 2009

CSA soup

What to do with all these fall veggies? Make soup! All local and super fresh.
I'm sure it would be good chunky, but I'm a real a fan of the potage. A mix of veggies and a potato cooked on the stove top, then thrown into the vita-mix to make a super smooth creamy soup. Oh so satisfying on a fall weekend afternoon.

There's no recipe besides use what you have and what you like.

Today's soup is a mix of onions, carrots, celery, leeks, cauliflower, carnival squash, and potato. I also used some broth I made last week, so it was really rich and vegetabley. The only seasoning I used was about 1 tsp spike and a little parsley on top.

Add a salad and some bread with Dr. Cow cashew cheese and you've got a light, but satisfying meal. I always feel very French when I have a nice potage with salad and bread.
I'm also watching Luc Besson's The Fifth Element on HBO and I forget just how much I like this movie. The futuristic fashion is fantastic and I love the cat that sits around and watches TV all day.

10 comments:

jessy said...

i haven't seen The Fifth Element in years - that's actually one of dan's favorite movies. i think it is because he thinks Mia is hot! ah ha ha!

your creamy csa veggie soup sounds absolutely perfect for fall, Jenn! i love that you added a little spike to it - i love that seasoning so much! those dr cow cashew cheezes are the absolute yummiest. i picked some up when i visited my brother in NY back in may, and i'm wishing i had bought more than just 2. i may have to break down and order some online. mmmmmmmmmm!

River (Wing-It Vegan) said...

Just look at the color of that soup! It's so smooth and creamy too. If I were to make that in my Magic Bullet I would end up with a big chunky-monkey bowl of lumpiness.

Debra said...

This looks soooo soothing! What great comfort food.

Eileen said...

That soup looks so good--I may have to whack up a squash and try it myself! The whole pureed veg soup aesthetic is so fall-oriented and comforting.

Amanda said...

That looks great..oh I would love a vitamix..saving my pennies for that. I finally am able to get Dr. Cow in Boston!! A vegan pizza place opened in Alston and they sell it and other vegan goodies!!

Jen Treehugger said...

That soup looks amazing and Fifth Element is a FAB film.

disabled account said...

soup! one of my favorite things about fall...no doubt!

Monique a.k.a. Mo said...

That soup looks so velvety smooth!

Karene said...

This is one of the things I most look forward too at this time of year... when it is cold enough to be souping it up all the time.

For the Love of Guava said...

mm... soup season...