Sunday, October 4, 2009

Vegetarian Dim Sum House meet up

Dim Sum is the perfect New York City brunch. Big table with good company sharing small dishes is a great start to the weekend. Most regular dim sum features a lot of scary meat dishes, but the same style easily transfers to vegan dim sum. The Buddhists are on to something. Even if they did steal our tables. :-)

This NYC vegan eat up was at Vegetarian Dim Sum House in Chinatown.
Mmmm rice rolls. My FAVORITE dim sum item is rice rolls. We got the fake shrimp and the mushroom ones. Both were really good. I don't remember what this is actually called, but it was fried and stuffed with vegetables like cabbage. It was good whatever it was.Treasure Balls with assorted flavors. Everyone likes balls, but I'm not sure what the assorted flavor is supposed to be. I thought it was a pretty neutral flavor stuffed with something resembling mashed potatoes. Good, but Treasure Balls? Really, who comes up with these names?
The top dish is the turnip cake. Unexpectedly really good, and served with the dipping sauce at right.Sticky rice in bamboo leaves, Pea shoot dumplings, and steamed buns. Inside shot of the pea shoot dumpling filling. Mmm steamed buns. Fried banana dumplings.
The inside of the fried banana dumplings. I'm glad I saved room for these. YUM!
Again another super fun vegan eat up outing. I think I might have overdone it on the take out this week. I'll have to cook something soon!

7 comments:

Jen Treehugger said...

AWESOME start to the weekend Jenn. The turnip cake has me seriously intrigued.

vegan.in.brighton said...

I totally forgot to take pictures when I went for Dim Sum in NYC. The turnip cakes were really good even if they did look a little creepy!

Anonymous said...

yum looks great! i haven't been to veg dim sum house yet but Buddha Bodai is another great place for veg dim sum

Sal - AlienOnToast said...

that all looks amazing, i wanna go for dim sum now!

LJ said...

Yum! There's no vegetarian Dim Sum in Miami. :(

I should move to NYC!

For the Love of Guava said...

mm... we did dimsum in hawaii but mr. guava and I were totally scaredy cats... and every one kept staring us down because we were so obviously tourists... and then I asked for this sesame ball thing and the lady told me I couldn't have it until later and never brought me one!!! MAJOR FAIL... and by fail I mean when will you take me out to dim sum???

Susan said...

Wow... you are so teasing me! The places I can get vegan yum cha are in Sydney, none in Brisbane, and are dropping like flies. One closed, another has started using fake products of questionable veganicity (is that a word? It is now)...

This looks fantastic!

And I love turnip cake. It is one of my favourites!